You may not have cried over spilled milk but you will probably cry over breastmilk that has not been stored properly. Not only having to put in all the hard work into pumping out the precious breast milk, also know as liquid gold, milk that are not kept properly will turn sour and possibly make your baby sick.
If you are a nursing mother or want to breastfeed after the baby is born, you would have come to a realisation that feeding your baby requires various accessories and tools. Chances are, if you want to breastfeed, at some point you also want to have your milk stored properly and safely, and this is where breast milk storage bags come in handy!
Choosing the best breast milk storage bags
When shopping for breast milk storage bags, it’s important to keep a few things in mind:
1. Make sure they're made of food-grade plastic. This assures you that the manufacturer knows exactly what is in the bag’s plastic, and that it is specifically designed for breast milk storage. Look for ones that are BPA free, FDA approved or even a European Food Grade certification. It is the highest food grade certification in the industry and the logo looks like that of a cup with a fork.
2. Check for a safety or tamper-resistant seal. A firm seal that you must remove prior to use ensures that the bag is clean and uncontaminated. Evorie Breastmilk storage bags are pre-sterilised with electronic beam and have a safety seal to prevent bacteria and contamination.
Evorie Breastmilk Storage Bags are BPA Free, FDA Approved and European Food Grade certified.
3. Consider how it stores. A good breast milk storage bag will freeze flat and take up minimal space in your freezer. It should be durable and be able to be in freezer storage for an extended duration. For Evorie’s Breastmilk storage bag, it is designed to stand on its own and lay flat for greater space saving, it’s durable double layer also ensures that it safe for extended freezer storage.
4. Make sure they are capable to keep the milk stored in and convenient to use. The storage bag should be able to hold a good volume of milk and should not leak after sealing. Evorie’s breastmilk storage bag each has a large capacity of 250ml and are double zipped to avoid leaks, it is also designed with a convenient pour spout for hygienic easy pouring.
5.Time Savings and convenience. There are many little details that can allow you to save more time and to make the process easier. Such as having additional tools to transfer your breast milk easily into the bag. For Evorie Breastmilk storage bags, there are clearly marked measurement in both oz and mL for easy reading, the outer write-on tab allows easy recording and prevent ink leeching. It also comes with a complimentary marker.
Based on an article by the Centers for Diseases Control and Prevention (CDC), Just note that freshly pumped milk can be stored:
- At room temperature (77°F or colder) for up to 4 hours.
- In the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- In the freezer for about 6 months is best; up to 12 months is acceptable. Although freezing keeps food safe almost indefinitely, recommended storage times are important to follow for best quality.
Just wanted to add on, keep up the good work mummies! You are doing great. We know that pumping that liquid gold may get difficult sometimes, don’t be disheartened and know that we are cheering you on to enjoy evorie moment of motherhood!